SEO (search engine optimization) is a key part of any digital marketing strategy. There are hundreds of actions you can take to make your website more Google-friendly, and one of those things is to rank well in Google Maps.
Moz, a top SEO resource, defines local SEO as:
“Local SEO is all about increasing search visibility for businesses that serve their communities face-to-face.”
When it comes to local marketing, one of the first steps you should take is making sure your business is listed on Google Maps. In this blog, I’m going to provide some helpful tips for beginners looking to rank higher in local listing.
Claim your Google My Business Listing
If you haven’t done so already, claim and verify your Google My Business listing. It’s very simple to do, and requires the following steps.
- Login to your company Google account.
- Navigate to https://www.google.com/business/.
- Locate and click a button that says Manage Now.
Then, follow the steps as prompted by Google. It usually involves finding your listing on Google Maps, editing the information, and submitting it for verification. Do not be surprised if you find your business already listed! Google pulls data from other sources to list everything on their maps, and if your business is any sort of established, you’ll likely find your listing.
Depending on your business type, you will be asked to verify via a postcard that will be mailed to your business address or via phone. We’ve most commonly worked with the postcard method.
Optimize your Local Listing
Now that you’ve claimed and verified your Google My Business listing, you can start to optimize it.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of local businesses out there that don’t take advantage of everything Google My Business has to offer. Business owners could be missing out on key opportunities by not implementing everything Google has to offer.
Here are a few ways to optimize your listing to appear in more local searches.
- Add photos – Google prioritizes listings that have photos. Take photos of your interior and exterior.
- List your services – in your profile, you have the option to add all of your services and include a brief description as well. Use all the space you can here.
- Add a detailed description – you do not want to stuff this description with keywords. Instead, be as descriptive as you can be about your business and your services.
- Include your service area – if you are a business that services customers at their location, make sure you update that service area in your profile.
- Update monthly – Google My Business also has a feature where you may post for your business. We recommend logging into this monthly and adding content such as links to blog posts, photos of products/services, your inventory, etc. Think of it as your business’s social media account.
Hire a Florida Local SEO Company
If all of this sounds a little time-consuming, fear not! We are an internet marketing company offering local SEO services and other digital marketing services in and around South Florida.
Our SEO services include:
- Content writing
- Technical audits
- Link building
- And more!
Call us at (239) 362-1271 today to get started.